What is the greatest source of rest for your soul? What is God’s plan to give you rest?
While attending a seminar on emotional health, Peter Scazzero emphasized that an important element of emotional health is planning a weekly Sabbath. Over the years this practice of taking a rest day has moved from Saturday to Sunday. Then even with that in normal church scheduling Sunday became the day of worship and rest. One pastor reported that he is so busy that he can’t take a sabbath. He said, “I will never get it all done if I take a sabbath. The pastor reported later that he was so tired and burned out. He recognized that the sabbath was encouraged to see him refresh his heart, soul and body so he could be more refreshed and then carry out the work more whole heartedly. However, often schedules have become so full that many folks have not set aside a time for Sabbath rest. Let’s explore where you are in your convictions on Sabbath Rest.
DIGGING INTO THE BIBLE:
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore, the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.”
DISCUSSION AND DISCOVERY:
1. How do you evaluate your schedule in getting proper rest and refreshment?
2. How do you experience this passage about Sabbath rest?
3. What experiences have you had in relationship to taking a planned rest time each week?
4. Based on this passage what do you learn about the sabbath?
5. Based on this passage what is rest?
6. Tell me about times when you were burned out and totally exhausted.
APPLICATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY:
7. How do you see sabbath in your calendar weekly helping you in your spiritual development and rest?
8. Why do you think this would be important?
9. What could you do to make this happen?
10. When will you get started?
11. How will you know this is a conviction?
DIGGING IN DEEPER:
1. What is the most important part of this lesson to you? Explain.
2. How do you see applying aspects of this lesson to your life?
3. When do you feel would be the best time to make that application?
4. What do you hear the Lord speaking to you about this right now?
For further information check out: https://coachthebible.com