I AM ABLE TO APPLY SCRIPTURE IN MY LIFE:
How have you gained understanding of the Bible? What difficulties do you have applying Scriptural principles?
Pedro was a hard worker. He had attended church as a young boy yet found it boring and as a teenager he just stopped going. When he reached his 20’s a good friend from work shared the wonderful message of the gospel from the Bible. By faith Pedro’s heart was open and he embraced the truth of God’s love and was welcomed into God’s family. At first, he was excited about his relationship with Christ. He began to read the Bible every day and attend small groups. However, in the busyness of life he missed his times of Bible reading and fellowship. He noticed old patterns coming back into his life. A good friend who was a coach met him and began to learn about Pedro’s decision and his stagnated growth. He stated that “I seem to have trouble applying the Bible in my everyday life. Can you help me in this?” His friend told him about the Book in the Bible called James. Pedro began to learn the principles of application from the book of James.
We told Pedro, “As you study the book of James, you will see the Holy Spirit introducing the purpose of Trials and Temptations” (See Infant stage A-3 on coaching trials and Temptations). Then you will see steps the Holy Spirit gives to applying the Bible.” He was eager to get started.
DIGGING INTO THE BIBLE:
My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. 21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
Note James 1:19-27 and find the 9 items of Instruction:
I. Be quick to listen
II. Be slow to speak
III. Be angry and sin not
IV. Get rid of moral filth
V. Receive the Word into your hearts, which is able to save your souls
VI. Do not merely listen to the Word, do what it says
VII. Focus your attention on the Law of Freedom in Christ
VIII. Care for widows and orphans
IX. Keep yourself unstained by the world
DISCUSSION AND DISCOVERY:
1. As you read these imperatives, which one stands out to you the most?
2. Which ones do you need to understand better?
3. Which ones would you like to discuss?
APPLICATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY:
4. Which one are you strongest in? Tell me about that.
5. Which one or ones do you want to grow in?
6. Where do you feel, you are in this area?
7. What would it take to grow to a new level in that area?
8. What would you like to be your first step?
9. When will you get started?
10. What are the obstacles that might slow you down from improving in this area?
- In each of these instructions you can be coached by the Holy Spirit by simply asking “How am I doing in being quick to listen on a scale of 1-10?” Then explain what your answer means.
- Next ask what would make it a step above your current reality? Depending on the answer, what would be a first step of action to move to greater listening?
- You can work through as many of these steps as possible, putting them on your calendar.
- Ask for some accountability on your steps.
- Work through each instruction and see God’s work become implanted in your heart.
For further information check out: https://coachthebible.com