LEARNING AND GROWING IN OBEDIENCE TO GOD’S WORD:
How do the Scriptures impact your everyday life? What is your greatest challenge in obeying Scripture?
“I see many people who claim to be Christians all over the country. They attend church less than two times a month”, observed Tom. “It seems like being a Christian and obeying God’s word is not a high priority in their lives.” As he viewed other Christians at work and in his neighborhood, he wondered if they were being obedient to the commandments of Jesus. He wondered if they were loving God with all their heart, their soul, their mind and their strength and their neighbor as their self. Then he reflected on his own obedience to God. He wondered and knew he needed help. He needed someone who would help him understand what it meant to be a follower of Christ. He wanted to know where to go for help.
DIGGING INTO THE BIBLE:
Let’s look at the verse James 1:22,
“You be doers of the Word and not hearers only.”
DISCOVERY AND DISCUSSION:
1. What does it mean to be a doer of the Word?
2. What is the context of this verse?
3. How can we become hearers only?
4. Why do you think the author wrote this at this time to Christians?
5. How would you know if you are a doer of the Word?
APPLICATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY:
6. What steps can you take to know what instructions from the Word that you should obey?
7. What areas of obedience do you struggle with?
8. What does obedience to God say about our relationship with him? (see John 14:21)
9. What is one step we can take to strengthen our conviction about obedience?
10. When will you take that step?
DIGGING IN DEEPER:
1. What is the most important part of this lesson to you? Explain.
2. How do you see applying aspects of this lesson to your life?
3. When do you feel would be the best time to make that application?
4. What do you hear the Lord speaking to you about this right now?
For further information check out: https://coachthebible.com